Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Leaving by Director Ian Lorenos

It is very rare that a young Filipino Chinese director comes up with a movie that is very rooted into his Chinese ethnicity. To showcase the different Chinese cultures, traditions and other practices into one movie.... Who em I talking about??? Well the very fresh, new up and coming movie director Ian Lorenos.

 I think this is Ian when he won at the Cinemalaya 2010

Ian directed THE LEAVING staring Alwyn Uytingco, Lj Reyes, Anold Reyes and Lj Moreno. The movie won Cinemalaya 2010 Best Cinematography, Best Production Design and Best Supporting Actress for Lj Reyes.


Ian is my schoolmate back in Chiang Kai Shek College where I spent four years of my High School life. Ian is a very nice guy who alot plays basketball in the school grounds. I never though that he had this liking for movie making until last year that I was told that he will be directing a movie and it was THE LEAVING. Maybe it was the years after I graduated and never heard from alot of my HS schoolmates for so long.

I promised Ian that I will see him movie and be a very nice person when I talk about the movie after seeing it. I saw the movie in a weekday, so not much are in the cinema with me while I watch and not getting so much reaction from my co-audience. 

As I understood the story, THE LEAVING is about 5 Filipino-Chinese individuals who live closely to each other, does not really know each other until their paths crossed. The different characters represent if not... most of the Filipino Chinese people in the Philippines and depicting the situation where alot of us are in... I wont go into details with the characters and the story, because you have to see it for yourself. 

What I liked about the movie is that it was shot largely at the Chinese - Binondo area in Manila where I spent years growing up. Alot of familiar places, landmarks, stores.... I lived a Filipino Chinese life so I really can relate to the situations in the story, except for the loka loka girl - 5th character, but on 2nd though... Bka ma buang na din ako soon ... hahahahah

Also I liked how Ian made tahi how each characters role is shown in the movie. Very easy to digest and you'd love to talk about the movie after seeing it. 

To sum everything up.... I love the movie, I don't mind seeing it again, except for a few horror scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment